2023 Federal Budget
On March 28, 2023, the Federal Government tabled Budget 2023, which proposed a broad array of provisions impacting many individuals and businesses. The Budget did not include any changes to the personal or corporate tax rates or the inclusion rate on taxable capital gains.
Some of the items of interest include the following:
- Intergenerational Business Transfers – Amendments were introduced to ensure that relieving provisions (implemented in Bill C-208 in 2021) will only apply to genuine intergenerational business transfers, requiring:
- control by the child,
- activity of the child in the business, and
- active business continuing through a 3 or 10-year term, depending on the situation.
- Introduction of employee ownership trusts to facilitate business sales to employees.
- Significant modifications to the alternative minimum tax (AMT) to target high-income earners.
- Modifications to RESPs and RDSPs to add additional flexibility.
Please see the linked Federal Budget Commentary 2023 for more details on these items.
Thank you for your business, and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.